Ahhhhh….That feels better. After winning two in a row and getting their first PAC-12 road victory, the season finally feels back on track and meaningful for the Utah Utes. Jon Hays threw for 199 yards and John White ran for another 109 and the Utah Utes handled the Arizona Wildcats 34-21 last Saturday. Perhaps most importantly, the offense had no turnovers. Defensively, Utah did what Utah does. They were stifling to the run, pressured a very good Arizona quarterback in Nick Foles and tightened the screws in red zone.
The result is Utah is back over .500 at 5-4 and this week they play a very meaningful game at home against UCLA…..And that would be the new division leader UCLA by the way. This is a statement game for the Utes. It’s a game to attain bowl eligibility, to beat a team in the upper echelon of the PAC 12 and a game that just might (delusional moment) get you back into the South Division race. It won’t be easy. After beating Cal and Arizona State, it’s clear the UCLA is playing their best ball of the season and this game means everything to them as they have the inside track to the PAC-12 championship game. Here are some my keys to this week’s game—
· UTAH MUST MATCH UCLA’s INTENSITY OUT OF THE GATES
· UTAH REALLY MUST MATCH UCLA’s INTENSITY OF THE GATES
· As Usual, Jon Hays must continue to progress and make plays downfield
· Utah’s Offensive line must continue to be physical and force UCLA to bring 8 in the box
· Defense and special teams must continue to put the offense in good situations
Redemption (too some degree) is at hand in this game. And I….am still plotting and scheming ways of getting in the Rose Bowl. Go Washington State…Beat ASU.